Cult classic Night of the Living Dead has just received a 4K restoration so I think it’s only right I give it a look to see just how the restoration has gone. So without further ado here’s my Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray Review.
- Night of the Living Dead (1968)
- Genre: Horror
- Running Time: 97 Mins
- UK Rating 15
- Discs: 2
- Released By The Criterion Collection
- Blu-ray Released: 26 February 2018
During a visit to their father’s grave Barbra and Johnny Blair encounter a strange man who then attacks them. Barbra runs for her life and finds a house she believes to be empty. As it turns out there are other people that are seeking refuge that decide to hole up there and try to hold off the hordes of living dead.
Style / Direction
The film is directed by George A. Romero with him also looking after the cinematography as well. Shot in black and white there is a feeling that this is a film not to be taken too seriously and yet it somehow does manage to convey plenty dread. It’s a low budget horror movie or B movie that uses its budget well as it largely concentrates the focus upon the house in which the survivors are located. Ultimately the film succeeds by taking this approach and results in a rather compelling horror film.
Music / Audio Effects
The music is suitably creepy and unnerving that really adds to the atmosphere which is even more impressive as its all library music that’s excellently edited into scenes.
Acting / Characters
On the acting front its ok but don’t expect any award winning performances. Overall the acting kind of works and is fine for this style of film.
- Duane Jones as Ben
- Judith O’Dea as Barbra Blair
- Russell Streiner as Johnny Blair
- Keith Wayne as Tom
- Bill Hinzman as Ghoul
- George Kosana as Sheriff McClelland
- Bill “Chilly Billy” Cardille as a WIIC-TV Channel 11 news reporter
Conclusion – Night of the Living Dead Film Review
I’m pretty sure most film fans will know the famous line “They’re coming to get you Barbara”. Night of the Living Dead is very much a cult film and plays to its strengths of being all about the tension within the house interspersed with those slow moving living dead attacks.
George A. Romero defined the genre of zombie movies and the lasting legacy of Night of the Living Dead has to be just how many films it has influenced over the years. It’s one of those films all films lovers should see at least once.
- How Many Hammer Films Have You Seen?
- UK Blu-ray Releases Including 3 George A. Romero Films
- Hammer House of Horror The Complete Series releases on Blu-ray
- Studiocanal to release four Hammer Films this Janaury 2018
- Classic Films Channel Talking Pictures TV Comes To Freeview
Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray Review
The picture quality on this new 4k restored version of Night of the Living Dead is excellent, the picture is clean and free of any dirt marks whilst the image is sharp. A truly excellent restoration makes this the must have version.
On the extras front there is a rather a lot to take in but films fans will simply love what’s included. Expect plenty of interviews and unseen material.
- Night of Anubis (85 mins) Work Print Edit
- Light In Darkness (24 mins) Featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro & Robert Rodriguez
- 16 mm Dailies Reels (18 mins)
- Learning From Scratch (12 mins)
- TV Newsreel (3 mins)
- Walking Like The Dead (13 mins)
- Tones of Terror (11 mins)
- Limitations into Virtues (12 mins)
- Tomorrow (18 mins)
- Higher Learning (45 mins)
- Duane Jones (22 mins)
- Judith Ridley (11 mins)
- Venus Probe (1 min)
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
On to my movie rating for Night of the Living Dead (1968)
- Movie Rating: WELL WORTH WATCHING
- Blu-ray Picture: EXCELLENT
- Extras: EXCELLENT
Night of the Living Dead (1968) is available now on Blu-ray.
Products from Amazon.co.uk‹ ›
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $22.97Was: $24.83
- Price: $14.99Was: $21.00
- Price: $9.96Was: $10.96
- Price: $21.99
For those of you yet to see the film I’ll leave you with a little taster…
Clip may not be representative of the Blu-ray version
If you like my Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray Review you may want to check out these films:
- Hammer Volume One Fear Warning Boxset Review
- Cash on Demand (1961)
- The Snorkel (1958)
- Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)
- Fear in the Night (1972)
So that’s my Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray review, if you have any thoughts on this film you can leave them in the comment section below:
Note: The Amazon links on this page are affiliate / associate links. By buying through the links we may receive a commission for the sale. This has no effect on the price you pay.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and never miss a thing.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray Review (1968)
Director(s): George A. Romero
Actor(s): Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Marilyn Eastman, Karl Hardman, Judith Ridley, Keith Wayne
- Movie Rating
- Blu-ray Picture Rating
Any horror film with the line “They’re coming to get you Barbara” has got to be worth a look!