Are you in the mood for a little Christmas horror? Then you’re in luck as I’m reviewing British horror/slasher, Don’t Open till Christmas (1984). Whilst that all sounds great there is a slight problem. The film is yet to receive a UK Blu-ray release so I’m reviewing an imported version that plays on UK players. Right let’s take a look at the film and find out if it’s actually any good. So without further ado here’s my Don’t Open till Christmas Blu-ray Review.
- Don’t Open till Christmas (1984) – Imported Version
- Genre: Horror
- Directed by Edmund Purdom
- Running Time: 86 mins
- UK Rating N/A
- Discs: 1
- Released By N/A
- Blu-ray Released: N/A
Its Christmas in London and a crazed killer is out to kill as many Santa Claus’s as they can. Scotland Yard are at a loss to who might be responsible. In fact Chief Inspector Ian Harris, the man in charge seems to somewhat ineffective.
Style / Direction
The films directed by Edmund Purdom whilst the cinematography is handled by Alan Pudney.
Music / Audio Effects
The music score comes from Des Dolan. Expect plenty of Christmas music.
Acting / Characters
I doubt anyone won any awards for their acting in this one. That said it everyone does a decent enough job with what they have been given. The screen play is not the best written but to be honest the film concentrates on the important aspects, the killings.
- Edmund Purdom as Chief Inspector Ian Harris
- Alan Lake as Giles Harrison
- Belinda Mayne as Kate Briosky
- Gerry Sundquist as Cliff Boyd
- Mark Jones as Detective Sergeant Powell
- Kelly Baker as Experience Girl (Sherry Graham)
- Caroline Munro as Herself
- Kevin Lloyd as Gerry
- Pat Astley as Sharon
- Wendy Danvers as Mrs. Sherry
- Nicholas Donnelly as Doctor Bridle (scenes possibly deleted)
- Laurence Harrington as Kate’s Father
- Ken Halliwell as Restaurant Commissionare
- Ray Marioni as Maitre d’hotel
- Wilfred Corlett as Experience Santa Claus
- Ricky Kennedy as Theatre Santa Claus
- Sid Wragg as Dungeon Santa Claus
- Max Roman as Store Santa Claus
- George Pierce as Market Santa Claus
- Ashley Dransfield as Drunken Santa Claus
- Derek Ford as Circus Santa Claus
- Adrian Black as Circus Santa Claus
- John Aston as Santa Claus in Car
- Maria Eldridge as Girl in Car
- Des Dolan as Detective Constable
- Derek Hunt as Police Constable
- Paula Meadows as Dungeon Secretary
Conclusion: Don’t Open till Christmas (1984) Film Review
Sometimes there are bad movies that are actually surprisingly entertaining despite the poor dialogue or directing. That’s really what we have with Don’t Open till Christmas (1984). Despite its obvious downfalls such some of the acting and dialogue it’s certainly well worth a look if you love slasher movies.
I guess many will consider this a cult classic.
If you enjoyed my Don’t Open till Christmas Blu-ray Review so far you may want to check out the following films:
- Horror Express (1972)
- House of Mortal Sin (1976)
- Night of the Demon (1957)
- The Wicker Man (1973)
- Voodoo Man (1944)
Conclusion: Don’t Open till Christmas Blu-ray Review
The picture quality is far from great despite releasing on Blu-ray. The main issue is the film has many marks and speckles throughout the 86 minutes. That said I feel it’s probably unlikely that this one will receive any restoration work any time soon. Still other than the marks the rest of the image is pretty decent.
There’s a decent making of feature that makes for interesting viewing as well as showing some casting changes.
- Making of (14 mins)
On to my movie rating for Don’t Open till Christmas (1984)
- Movie Rating: GOOD / BAD
- Blu-ray Picture: POOR
- Extras: GOOD
Amazon UK Links
Don’t Open till Christmas (1984) is available now on Blu-ray.
For those of you yet to see the film I’ll leave you with a little taster…
Clip may not representative of the Blu-ray version
That concludes my Don’t Open till Christmas Blu-ray review, I’m aiming to review at least one more Christmas film before the end of the year. What’s next? Check back soon…
Note: The Amazon links on this page are affiliate / associate links. By buying through the links we may receive a commission for the sale. This has no effect on the price you pay.
Summary: Don't Open till Christmas (1984) Blu-ray Review - Import
Director(s): Edmund Purdom
Actor(s): Edmund Purdom, Alan Lake, Belinda Mayne, Gerry Sundquist, Mark Jones, Caroline Munro, Kevin Lloyd
- Movie Rating
- Blu-ray Picture Rating
A pretty bad chilling Christmas horror that’s kind of good!