Are you ready for another Denzel Washington review? This one’s a war film set during the American Civil war and stars Matthew Broderick and Morgan Freeman. So without further ado here’s my Glory (1989) blu-ray review.
- Glory (1989)
- Genre: War
- Directed by Edward Zwick
- UK Rating 15
- Discs: 1
- Released By Sony Pictures
- Blu-ray Released: N/A
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw (Matthew Broderick) is placed in charge of the first all black regiment in the Union Army. There he will find a willing group of recruits but unwillingness from the army’s hierarchy to actually deploy them in a frontline role.
Style / Direction
The film is directed by Edward Zwick whilst the cinematography is handled by Freddie Francis.
Music / Audio Effects
The music is composed by James Horner and it’s well suited to this war drama narrative.
Acting / Characters
The film revolves around five main characters with Matthew Broderick in the leading role as Colonel Robert Gould Shaw. Next come three black soldiers played by Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Andre Braugher. It’s their struggle for equally in war to be able to fight that is central to the films narrative.
Cary Elwes plays Major Cabot Forbes, Matthew Broderick’s right hand man. All of these actors turn in extremely good performances that really help you to have some idea of the struggle they endured along with the joy of being treated as equals by at least some of the senior officers.
- Matthew Broderick as Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
- Denzel Washington as Private Silas Tripp
- Morgan Freeman as Sergeant Major John Rawlins
- Cary Elwes as Major Cabot Forbes
- Andre Braugher as Corporal Thomas Searles
- Jihmi Kennedy as Private Jupiter Sharts
- Cliff De Young as Colonel James Montgomery
- Alan North as Governor John Albion Andrew
- John Finn as Sergeant Major Mulcahy
- RonReaco Lee as Mute Drummer Boy
- Donovan Leitch as Captain Charles Fessenden Morse
- Bob Gunton as General Charles Garrison Harker
- Jay O. Sanders as General George Crockett Strong
- Raymond St. Jacques as Frederick Douglass
- Richard Riehle as Quartermaster
- JD Cullum as Henry Sturgis Russell
Conclusion: Glory (1989) Film Review
This is a story that needs telling and does so by focusing in on just a few key characters played by the likes of Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Andre Braugher and Cary Elwes. This is why the film succeeds and ultimately delivers a powerful and engrossing story.
This one is certainly worth a look.
If you enjoyed my Glory (1989) blu-ray review so far you may want to check out the following films:
Conclusion: Glory (1989) Blu-ray Review
What’s the picture quality like? Well overall I’d have to say it’s very good, there are no marks or speckles to report. If I had to note anything negative I’d say the image is not as sharp as I would have hoped. Overall though the image is good and I have no problems in recommending you purchase this version.
Now to the extras and a lot of the features are about the real events and the story behind the true story rather than the actual film. It’s certainly interesting stuff and well worth the history lesson for those of us like me that didn’t know about their story and fight.
- Director Commentary
- Virtual Battlefield – Civil War Guide Map
- Featurette: The Voices of Glory (11 mins)
- Documentary: The True Story of Glory Continues (45 mins)
- Original Theatrical Making of (8 mins)
- Deleted Scenes
Popcorn Cinema Rating: The Glory (1989)
MOVIE RATING: WELL WORTH A LOOK
BLU-RAY RATING: VERY GOOD
POPCORN CINEMA: RECOMMENDED
Purchase Glory (1989) On Blu-ray
Glory (1989) blu-ray is available now, see the links below.
The Amazon links on this page are affiliate / associate links. By buying through the links we may receive a commission for the sale. This has no effect on the price you pay.
Glory (1989) Trailer
For those of you yet to see the film I’ll leave you with a little taster…
Clip may not be representative of the blu-ray version
That’s my Glory blu-ray review, if you have any thoughts on this film you can leave them in the comment section below:
Summary: Glory (1989) Blu-ray Review
Movie title: Glory (1989)
Duration: 122 mins
Director(s): Edward Zwick
Actor(s): Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes, Andre Braugher
- Movie Rating
- Blu-ray Picture Rating
A very powerful and engrossing story well told and acted.
- Powerful & Engrossing Story
- Excellent Casting
- Overall Very Good Blu-ray Release
- Picture Quality Could Be Sharper