If like us you have been enjoying Powerhouse Films, excellent Columbia Noir boxsets (Released under their Indicator label) then you are probably going to pleased to hear the third boxset titled Columbia Noir 3 is coming out in May 2021.
Powerhouse Film have included a pretty extensive set of extras. The boxset titled Columbia Noir #3 contains the following six classic films:
- Johnny O’Clock (1947)
- The Dark Past (1948)
- Convicted (1950)
- Between Midnight And Dawn (1950)
- The Sniper (1952)
- City Of Fear (1959)
Special features include:
- 2K restoration of Johnny O’Clock
- High Definition presentations of The Dark Past, Convicted, Between Midnight and Dawn, The Sniper and City of Fear
- Original mono soundtracks
- Johnny O’Clock – Audio commentary with filmmaker and critic Jim Hemphill (2021)
- The Dark Past – Audio commentary with lecturer and curator Eloise Ross (2021)
- Convicted – Audio commentary with film historians Troy Howarth and Nathaniel Thompson (2021)
- Between Midnight and Dawn – Audio commentary with critic and author Bryan Reesman (2021)
- The Sniper – Audio commentary with the Film Noir Foundation’s Eddie Muller (2009)
- City of Fear- Audio commentary with critic and author Adrian Martin (2021)
- Introduction to The Sniper by Martin Scorsese (2009)
- Pulp Paranoia (2010): appreciation of City of Fear by filmmaker Christopher Nolan
- Pamela Hutchinson on Nina Foch (2021): appreciation of celebrated actor and her regular appearances in Columbia noir productions
- Kim Newman on Gordon Douglas (2021): examination of the director’s wide-ranging career
- Ford Noir (2021): video essay on the various Columbia noir performances of Glenn Ford
- The Screen Guild Theatre: ‘Blind Alley’ (1940): radio adaptation of Broadway play which inspired The Dark Past, starring Edward G Robinson
- The Autobiography of a “Jeep” (1943): light-hearted documentary by Irving Lerner, the director-producer of City of Fear, about the then-new, multi-purpose automobile
- Hymn of the Nations (1944): documentary short, directed by Alexander Hammid and produced by Lerner, featuring famed conductor Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra performing the music of Giuseppe Verdi
- The Cummington Story (1945): docudrama short, written and directed by Helen Grayson and Larry Madison, produced by Lerner, and featuring the music of Aaron Copland, re-enacting the stories of a group of refugees who relocated to a small American town during World War II
- The Negro Sailor (1945): US Navy docudrama short, by Convicted director Henry Levin, about African American combatants in World War II
- Three Lives (1953): United Jewish Appeal short from the writers and director of The Sniper, Edna and Edward Anhalt and Edward Dmytryk, and featuring Jane Wyman, Randolph Scott, Charlton Heston, and Arthur Franz
- Not One Shall Die (1957): United Jewish Appeal short starring Guy Madison and made by the core crew of many Columbia noirs, including cinematographer Burnett Guffey, editor Al Clark, art director Cary Odell, set decorator Frank Tuttle, and composer Morris Stoloff
- Six short films starring the Three Stooges, lampooning the tropes and themes of the features included in this set: Whoops, I’m an Indian! (1936), So Long Mr. Chumps (1941), Dizzy Detectives (1943), Three Pests in a Mess (1945), Shivering Sherlocks (1948), and Oil’s Well That Ends Well (1958)
- Original theatrical trailers for Johnny O’Clock, Between Midnight and Dawn, The Sniper, and City of Fear
- Image galleries
The Columbia Noir #3 blu-ray is due out on Monday 17th May 2021 in the UK.
Columbia Noir #3 Blu-ray
You can purchase the Columbia Noir #3 blu-ray boxset via the Amazon (which helps us) or by heading over to the Powerhouse Films website.
The Amazon links on this page are affiliate / associate links. By buying through the links we may receive a commission for the sale. This has no effect on the price you pay.
Have you checked out the first two Columbia Noir boxsets?
- I Know What You Did Last Summer Trilogy UK Bluray
- Lamberto Bava’s Demons 1 & 2 Releases On UK Blu-ray
- Murphy’s Law (1986) Releases On UK Blu-ray
- The Masque of The Red Death (1964) Receives New Restoration
- Urban Legend Trilogy Coming To UK Blu-ray In April 2021
You can join us in supporting ‘Physical Media’ by picking up a copy of Columbia #3 on blu-ray.